Narrow Boat Insurance

We insure all types of canal boats, such as narrowboats, motor cruisers, wide beams, barges and houseboats, in both the UK and Europe. We can also offer a combined insurance policy to cover your vessel and contents.

Third Party Liability insurance is a requirement for cruising throughout UK & European Inland Waterways. We can also offer cover for roaming traders and bareboat charter vessels. Our policy automatically includes as standard:

  • Personal Accident insurance
  • Up to £5m Third Party Liability
  • No excess for third party claims
  • Agreed Value cover
Residential boats

When living afloat, it’s not only important to protect your vessel but your contents too. Rest easy knowing that under our policy you will be covered for accommodation costs, in the event your boat becomes uninhabitable. Get peace of mind and make sure your home and contents are properly protected on the water. For an additional premium, you can protect your contents against accidental loss or damage and theft both on-board and away from the vessel.

You can get cover for:

  • Replacement lock and keys
  • Professional removal of liveaboard contents
  • Short term accommodation costs
  • Property away from the vessel
  • Business equipment/student contents

We can also offer a specialist Builders Risk Policy to cover you whilst your vessel is under construction, being modified, or under fit-out.

To insure your canal boat, narrowboat, barge, canal cruiser, motor cruiser, river cruiser, houseboat, or wide beam, request a quote here:

Discounts are available for Dutch Barge Association and Passenger Boat Association members.

Cover Options


Our fully comprehensive cover provides insurance for accidental losses and damage to your vessel. It also includes liability cover, which is essential for you to launch and moor your vessel in harbours and marinas around the UK and abroad.


This is the minimum level of cover required by marinas and harbours in order to be able to launch or moor your vessel. Third party cover will provide cover for accidental damage to other vessels only.

For a quote or advice from our award winning team call
01843 603345
Ready to get cover?

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I choose the sum insured?

The sum insured is the maximum you’ll receive after a total loss of your vessel and it should reflect its current market value. The sum insured is usually based on the price you paid. If you think the current market value is higher than the price paid, we’ll ask to see an independent written valuation to support this.

Are friends and family covered to use my boat?

Yes, assuming they have your permission and you’re confident they can handle the boat safely.

Will you need a survey to insure my boat?

We usually ask for a survey for boats over 25 feet in length and over 35 years old, but some boats will require a survey before this. Once a survey has been approved, you won’t need another for at least five years.

What is an excess?

The excess is the amount that you have to contribute towards each claim, shown in your policy schedule. A discount is usually available if you choose to accept a higher excess on your policy.

boat docked at a harbour

Refer us to your friends

Were you happy with our service? Refer us to your friends and you could each receive £20!