Our Cover

For a quote or advice, call our award winning team on
01843 603345
Or email us
Choosing the right insurance can be difficult, so we have designed a range of marine insurance policies for both smaller and larger vessels.

We offer boat insurance on most types of craft, whether it be a speedboat, RIB, narrowboat, barge, yacht or a motorboat. We have a boat insurance policy which is tailor-made to suit your needs.

Is boat insurance a necessity?

Although boat insurance is not a legal requirement within the UK, it is wise to ensure that your investment is protected. Investing money into your vessel, whatever the type, is not likely to be cheap. So protecting an asset such as a yacht could be essential.

Marine insurance might also be required if you have taken out marine finance, or to comply with marina rules and waterway authorities. It is advised that any vessel owners investigate which marine insurance will cover their needs as soon as a purchase has been made. This is to ensure that your vessel is protected from the very start.

Our cover options:

We can provide you with...

Frequently Asked Questions

What's the difference between Market Value and Agreed Value?
Market Value

In the event of a total loss claim, the amount paid to you will be determined by the value of similar vessels (of the same make, model & age) on the second-hand market. For example, if you bought a boat brand new for £10,000 two years ago and it’s only worth £7,000 second-hand now, insurers will pay £7,000 (less any policy excesses).

Agreed Value

In the event of a total loss insurers will pay the lower of:

  • the sum insured on your policy schedule
  • the most recent value of your craft obtained by an independent qualified surveyor or yacht broker
  • the advertised price or agreed sale price
Why do I need to buy boat insurance?

Boat insurance is designed to protect you from financial loss through perils such as fire, theft, sinking, or accidental/malicious damage. It will also cover any third party costs that you are liable for. You’ll need proof of third-party cover at most marinas, and to obtain a boat licence for inland waterways. Full details of the cover provided is detailed in the policy wording, along with any exclusions that apply.

How do I choose the sum insured?

The sum insured is the maximum you’ll receive after a total loss of your vessel and it should reflect its current market value. The sum insured is usually based on the price you paid. If you think the current market value is higher than the price paid, we’ll ask to see an independent written valuation to support this.

Are friends and family covered to use my boat?

Yes, assuming they have your permission and you’re confident they can handle the boat safely.

Will you need a survey to insure my boat?

We usually ask for a survey for boats over 25 feet in length and over 35 years old, but some boats will require a survey before this. Once a survey has been approved, you won’t need another for at least five years.

What is an excess?

The excess is the amount that you have to contribute towards each claim, shown in your policy schedule. A discount is usually available if you choose to accept a higher excess on your policy.